Thursday, September 6, 2007

Introduction



For my global news media journal I chose the Netherlands (aka Holland) as my country to study. I chose the Netherlands because unlike most families, my family is not 100% sure where we are from: either Holland or England. Out of those two I know a lot less about Holland than I do England. It is somewhere I have always wanted to go. I don’t know much about this country (first hand at least) but I think that this will be an interesting way to discover another country and culture without actually going there. My boyfriend’s twin sister is in Holland now, and I asked her to bring back some newspapers from her trip for me, which will be great to see.

A little bit about Holland... it has a population of 16+ million people and is located in Western Europe, bordered by the North Sea and is inbetween Belgium and Germany. It is the European part of the Kingdome of the Netherlands, also of Aruba and Antilles. It is a constitutional monarchy, which is a constitutional syste, that acknoeledges a monarch as head of state (either elected or hereditary).

I am looking forward to utilizing the Library Press Display database to view some of the newspapers that are on newsstands in Holland. I think that this will also be interesting to see how (if at all) they format their newspapers differently and how they cover and structure their stories. I also want to (hopefully) compare the news coverage on various stories both here as well as there. For example, 9/11 is coming up and it will be interesting to see how they cover that story (if at all).

No comments: